Thursday, May 17, 2012

why would I upload a boxing match here?

Today we had our first lesson about the civil rights movement in the USA, and for that purpose we were divided into smaller groups to read some chapters of a book and to talk about them during the class. In our group we got to read about some african-american athletes who indirectly proved that their race is not inferior than the white race through their sports performance. I'd like to talk you about the boxer Joe Louis, who was one of these sportsmen, in the attached video you can see his boxing match against the German boxer Max Schmeling in an era when the racial prejudices were really significative. This match was in 1938 and it was the second fight between these two contenders, in their first fight it was a defeat to Louis, but in this second fight he was the victor. I wanted to show you this video as I believe it proves that in sports, and in life, your own dedication and effort show more of who you really are than your race colour does.
Finally, I'd like to finish this post with a few questions: can you easily see who is the black guy and who is the white guy in this video? do they look that different? at least for me this was quite interesting, as even physically they don't look different at all in this kind of video.
I hope you enjoy this match, as much as I did.

By
Raúl Rodríguez

3 comments:

  1. Excellent boxing match! I really agree with you, I think that be white or black is not something important, we have the same rights and the color of our skins is just a physical feature, it doesn´t make us better or worse.
    To me is irrelevant the color of the skin if you are good doing what you do, I’m not only speaking about sports, I mean in every aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is very difficult to find the difference of colour between the fighters, I think the people is no limited by the race, the only limit is the enthusiasm you have to overcome all the limits in your way, and Joe Louis is a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that TV no color no racism.
    I read somewhere that in every fight that Joe Louis participated he wasn't only facing his rivals, but the whole crowd and racism of white people. But with each victory that Joe archived he changed the mentality of white people. And this was because he was one of the best boxers of all time (72 fights with only three losses).
    Brown Bomber (Joe's nickname) was a true champion which not only overcame his opponents, but also to any racism.
    P.S. Epic fight, 1:29 in the video, victory is served

    ReplyDelete