Monday, April 30, 2012

LET´S TALK ABOUT AUTO-STEREOTYPES : "stuffs spanish girls say"


A couple of months ago, a series of videos became viral on youtube , they were called "stuffs (x) girls say" and they showed different words or sentences that some ethnic groups may say  ( white girls, black girls , asian girls , mixed race girls , etc..) in a funny and ironic way.One of the most famous ones is "stuffs spanish girls say".
This video was created and performed by a latin male , who lives in new york .
The fist time I watched this video I thought " This is so funny", and indeed , the video is very funny , because it shows the different stereotypes that , due to movies , tv shows or the internet ; represent what people think about"latin culture ".
After we studied stereotypes at class , I re thought about this video and my opinion about it changed ... the video is still very funny , but it made me think ... if we agree that sereotypes are a bad thing , because is an ignorant and limited vision about a certain group of people  , then why do we sometimes stereotype our selfs ? why would a latin person made fun of "latin culture"?...
I know that is video is ment to be funny , but it also can create a wrong impression about our culture ( specially if is created by a latin person ).
If we want to stop stereotypes , we should start by stop stereotyping our selfs.
This video has created a lot of controvery, because people think that encourages to create even more stereotypes about latin pople living in USA and promotes a fake lifestyle among latin people.
The creator has also been criticized, because some people think that videos like this degrades his culture.
what do you think ?  do you concider this video funny or offensive ? what do you think about the fact that the creator is a latin person? do chileans also have auto-estereotypes?

Javier Cáceres

2 comments:

  1. hahahahaha I am a big fun of those videos on youtube, the have become viral over the past few months. I think its funny because the are considered to be comedy so the can't really be considered as a real fact or a "true thing", I think that people knows that not all Latin women are like that...for example in the first video "stuffs girls say" people in their right mind know that not all girls are like that...that it is an stereotype which as you said is an "ignorant and limited vision about a certain group of people", this videos are intended to make people laugh, and I think that is healthy to laugh of ourselves sometimes and not take things so aggressively. When we start JUDGING there we have a big problem...but this is not the case or scenario...just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of these videos, but it is the first time I watch this, and I laughed, it's funny I don't think there's the intention to offend anyone. I think is good to make fun of ourselves once in a while, but I don't think it represents latinamerican people or people from Spain. In that way, I don't like the video because people who don't know about latinamerican people will get a wrong idea about us, because I've never met a person like the one of this video, however it made me laugh haha :D

    ReplyDelete