Saturday, April 28, 2012

Different word, same meaning.


As many of you know I'm not from the Fifth Region and last year when I moved in I discovered a lot of new "concepts, words and expressions" for the same things I knew with another name, for example: "Caldo" (my expression) is the same as "Sopa", "Buzo" is the same as "salida de cancha" and so on and so forth.
It's unbelievable how the way of speaking changes from one region to another in te same country. So, since I heard those expressions I started to investigate more of them and I found a lot of expressions for the same context.
I'm leaving the list here and if you know more word from different parts of Chile, please, comment and let me know.
- Cocho = ulpo
-Pupo = Ombligo.
- Morrón = Pimentón.
- Tirantes = Arciales.

* The second word is used in the fifth region.

Yanareth Cerda Campos.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting post! I'm from the fifth region I was born and raised in Cerro Alegre, Valparaíso so it's hard for me to understand how other people from other regions name things. Another very controversial word is the one people use to name the bread, the other day some friends and I were discussing and we ended up almost like fighting because fifth region's people use the word "pan batido" and pelple from other regions call ir "marraqueta" or "pan francés"
    and yeah I say sopa, salida de cancha, ombligo, pimentón, but what about arciales? I haven't heard of it ! good post ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha it's so funny, I always laught of the way you name things. It's strange that things have different names depending on the region even when that regions are part of the same country.
    As same as Paulina, I think this post is very interesting, and I haven't heard about "arciales" neither.

    ReplyDelete